2019! How is it 2019? And more importantly how is it 2020 next year and we’re not all flying around in little space cars, like in the Jetsons? Man I loved that program growing up – I need to find it on YouTube or something to show the kids!
Anyhow, I digress…
I wanted to share a few of my goals for the year ahead. I am notoriously bad at sticking to goals. I’m pretty good at the eating better and exercise ones (when I want to be or when I set myself a specific target) but when it comes to behavioural changes or doing more for ‘me’, I am utterly useless. Here’s hoping I do better this year!
1. To try and stop caring less about what others think of me – ah, this is a tough one. I mean more in real life, rather than in the online world. I’m sure a few of you will have come across a delightful gossip (hate) forum website which is pretty much dedicated to tearing apart people who put their lives out there online. It’s a horrible, horrible situation to find yourself in but one that I’ve dealt with by simply not reading it anymore. I went on it once (when someone sent the link to me) and read 100s of comments about how awful a person I am, and once for another reason, and have never been back on it since. Nothing good can come from reading a whole bunch of spiteful comments from people who don’t even slightly know the truth about your life. I would like to focus on caring less about what others think about me in my offline life. To stop worrying about judgement. To stop overthinking things I say to people. To stop second guessing myself. Those sorts of things!
2. To start ballet classes again – this has been something on the to do list for a very long time. I did a lot of ballet and dancing when I was younger and I am so keen to start a little class up again. For fitness and for my mind. I’m hoping while R is back for a couple months, and therefore around in the evenings a little more, I can get along to one weekly.
3. To be a better school mum – oh my goodness, I had no idea the admin that would be involved once you walk through those school gates. WOW! The events, forms and things to remember are constant and because I don’t pick up and drop off every day (thanks to work), I feel I miss out massively on feeling part of the school community. I’m not sure how to rectify it but I’m going to have a good think about it! And make sure I hand things in on time…..
4. To spend less (mainly on clothes) – I need to have a massive clear out and create a bit more of a capsule wardrobe. I often don’t manage to see half of what’s kicking about in my wardrobe because of there being too much in there. Half of the problem is lack of storage. I need to be able to separate out my summer and winter clothes better so they can be rotated. The other half of my problem is that I often hold on to items that I haven’t worn in a long time ‘just in case’. They need to go so I can focus on what I actually need to buy, rather than what I think I need to buy.
5. To have more ‘me time’/go to bed earlier/be on my phone less – this is the one I always fall down with! I am TERRIBLE at shutting off from work and life admin and just ‘being’. I like to be busy and distracted, which often means I neglect the things I could be doing to have a bit more of a balance in life. I need more bubble baths, face masks, book reading, Netflix series and early nights in my life. We shall see if any of this materialises as the year goes on!
What’s on your list of goals, if you have one?