Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. It’s one of those things that you read heart breaking stories about and think to yourself ‘it’ll never happen to me’. But it can. And it could. And we should all be aware of the dangers carbon monoxide poses and what we can do to protect ourselves.
We’ve teamed up with Project Shout to raise a bit of awareness and hopefully make all your homes safer with the knowledge. Project Shout is a great campaign which was started after hearing Stacey Rodgers’ story about losing her beautiful, young son to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide, chemical sign CO, is an incredibly dangeorus gas to humans. It is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas which is emitted when fuel from a carbon source is not burned properly. There is no form of detection other than a carbon monoxide alarm, which is why these bits of kit are so, so important for your home.
At this moment in time, less than one in three people have an alarm and 16,400,000 households in the UK could be at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning. How terrifying is that?
We were given a FireAngel carbon monoxide alarm and it honestly took no time at all to install and was very simple to set up. Spending 5-10 minutes to sort out one of these in your house could mean the difference between life and death. You can pick one up for around £20 which is priceless when you think what it can do to save you. It’s just too big a risk to take not to do it.
Carbon monoxide alarms should be tested regularly to ensure their efficiency. Make a note somewhere to check yours every so often. Also make yourself aware of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning in case it happens whilst you are awake. The symptoms include:
Carbon monoxide poisoning is often mistaken for flu type symptoms but over 4000 people go to A&E with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning so it’s worth getting checked out if you think you could have been at risk.
We need to all shout about this horrible, silent killer so we can stop it from ruining more families lives.
Do you have a carbon monoxide alarm set up in your home?